Friday 26 April 2019

Ink (Skin Books, book 1)

By Alice Broadway


Blurb:
Every action, every deed, every significant moment is tattooed on your skin for ever. When Leora's father dies, she is determined to see her father remembered forever. She knows he deserves to have all his tattoos removed and made into a Skin Book to stand as a record of his good life. But when she discovers that his ink has been edited and his book is incomplete, she wonders whether she ever knew him at all.

Review: 
This isn't the first time I've read this book, and it also isn't the first time that it's got me out of a reading slump. So surely that alone explains the 5 stars, it is definitely a truly amazing book, so captivating and special. Just wow! Thank you Laura again, for recommending this book I will be thankful forever.

On to the actual book. So this book is set in a world where everything you have done in your life, achievements, wrong doings, family is all tattooed on your skin. Hence the book title, Ink. When you die, your skin is stripped from your body and a book is made out of it. Once the book is made it then goes to the weighing ceremony where if you are a good person the book goes back to the family, or if you are a bad person then the book gets burnt. Then there are the blanks who aren't inked and take children, belongings and food away from the marked.


Now the characters. Leora is a teenage girl who is just completing her final exams before she chooses her life time job, she has a best friend called Verity which they are very close. They will literally do anything for each other. Leora also seems to have a crush on Verity's brother like most females do who have friends with older brothers.


Leora is struggling with her exams because she just lost her father and she isn't too sure whether she will make an inker or not because she thinks she will fail her exams. She is worrying a lot about the ceremony of her father and whether she will get him back to read especially since a bad memory makes a reappearance and his book gets confiscated before his ceremony.


The whole journey of this book is just amazing it is just non-stop action and drama. Which is possibly why it gets me out of a reading slump every time I read it. The characters relationships with one another are really realistic too and the challenges that they face are actually real life problems, where as some of the other young adult fantasy books is just too far fetched.


The writing style of this book is good, I wouldn't say excellent because the more times I read it the more faults I find with it. It's a fast paced well wrote book, with repetition of some information. I managed to just ignore it but it can get a bit boring at times reading the repetition, but it's nothing drastic.


The actual story-line of the book is very unique too, not something I've read before and I can't wait to see if Alice Broadway releases anymore books because I will just automatically buy them. I need them in my life. I need her to get me out of reading slumps constantly. Think I'm on my 4th slump of the year.

I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes uniqueness, fantasy, hidden love, mystery, and friendships. It's just perfection it really is. Just read the damn book and comment your opinion I'd love to know.


Favourite Character: Leora


Read: 24/03/19 - 26/03/19


5 stars out of 5
Check out Sammie's review of Book 2: Spark

Written by Sammie

No comments:

Post a Comment