Wednesday 19 December 2018

Skyward (Skyward Series, book 1)

By Brandon Sanderson


Blurb: 
Defeated, crushed, and driven almost to extinction, the remnants of the human race are trapped on a planet that is constantly attacked by mysterious alien starfighters. Spensa, a teenage girl living among them, longs to be a pilot. When she discovers the wreckage of an ancient ship, she realizes this dream might be possible—assuming she can repair the ship, navigate flight school, and (perhaps most importantly) persuade the strange machine to help her. Because this ship, uniquely, appears to have a soul.

Review: 
I received this book in November's FairyLoot box, I have never read any of Brandon Sanderson books before so this was a first for me.

The book starts of with A prologue when Spensa first gets taken up near the space station to see the trash ring on the edge of the atmosphere with her dad. I may be using wrong terms for things but I read this book quite a while ago and can't properly remember the names.


The start of the book starts of with Spensa in high school trying to become a pilot and training to ensure she gets to do the pilots test. When she first sits the test she thinks that they have made her test difficult so that she doesn't become a pilot as her dad was seen as a coward to the flight school.


Spensa doesn't go party with the rest after completing the test because she feels like she is a failure, this is when we first come across Cobb when he gives her a pilots pin so she can start her training.


While Spensa is training she has to overcome some very difficult tasks, especially during the start because she still feels like she has to fight for her dad and prove who she is even though none of her flight mates know her past.


This made me feel sorry for her as she had to overcome many self confidence issues which is quite a hard thing to do, she doesn't get there but she does start to feel more confident and becomes more relaxed with her flight mates.


The friendships within this book were great, I loved how they all worked together as a group and to see their different personalities within it was really good. I also enjoyed reading the book from one persons point of view for once too as I've been reading a lot of 2 persons recently so it's a nice change.


The only thing that I didn't like about the book was the way that Spensa still thought she had to defend her dad up until the last moment and that she always tried to prove that she wasn't a coward. But I suppose that was the main story line of her character, I just found her quite annoying at times.


The ending of the book was quite good really but I just didn't really expect it to end like that, I was quite happy at part 5 I would have felt that was a decent ending and could have just been one book. But I suppose in the next book we will see what happens and how things turn out. I am looking forward to it but I have so many other books to read and catch up on.


I'd recommend this book to anyone that doesn't mind the topic of grieving being talked about, a lot of action, sci-fi, cool drawings, adventures and friendship.



Favourite Characters: Jerkface


Read: 25/11/18 - 12/12/18


5 stars out of 5



Written by Sammie
Check out Sammie's review of FairyLoot - November 2018.
Check out Sammie's review of Book 2: Starsight

No comments:

Post a Comment