Tuesday 7 January 2020

Starsight (Skyward Series, book 2)

By Brandon Sanderson


Blurb: 
All her life, Spensa has dreamed of becoming a pilot. Of proving she's a hero like her father. She made it to the sky, but the truths she learned about her father were crushing.

Spensa is sure there's more to the story. And she's sure that whatever happened to her father in his starship could happen to her. When she made it outside the protective shell of her planet, she heard the stars--and it was terrifying. Everything Spensa has been taught about her world is a lie.

But Spensa also discovered a few other things about herself--and she'll travel to the end of the galaxy to save humankind if she needs to.

Review: 
I mainly listened to this book as audio with a tiny bit of reading. This was a first for me and I actually enjoyed the experience. The book was just what I needed to listen to.

I loved hearing the different accents and getting to know the characters, how the author portrayed them. It made me enjoy the book a lot more and I now can't wait to read book 3 of the series.

This book followed straight after Skyward, and we followed Spensa as a main role again, accept this time she was pretending to be someone else on another planet to try and protect her own. This was a great storyline and I loved seeing the insight to the Krell and actually meeting different species. I loved how they were all unique, and I so wanted to meet the Chipmunk species, I really wish this becomes a TV series so I can see drawings of them too. Maybe Brandon could include that in the next book drawings of the species rather than drawings of spacecraft and their manoeuvres. 

Spensa in this book develops quite drastically as a character because she acts as a spy and she finds her inner self in a way that she doesn't expect to. She starts to believe that she can do things without her usual squadron and her trusted m bot, which is quite cool because you see her true skill and character. I love how her personality also changes depending on which species she is talking to or the topic they are talking about. I also love how at the start we discover a secret love, that was a proper twist and heart wrenching moment. But I'm pleased things got back to plan at the end of the book or did they?!

The main part of the book was spent following Spensa but then at the end of the book we started to get Jorgen's point of view back on her home planet and we got to meet back with the alien species Spensa was replicating. I can't wait to see where the story goes from here but either way I think it's going to be pretty amazing and I'm going to be so disappointed when this series ends in 2 books time, I'm also upset I have to wait so long for book 3. But one thing I am definitely going to do is listen to both books again before release day as it's a truly amazing series. 

The ending of this book was also not what I was expecting and I didn't expect that to happen. It was just so off topic and not how I imagined it. It was well and truly a bomb dropping. No pun intended! And no that's not a spoiler I promise!

This book should definitely be on your to be read list, this has got to be moved into my top 10 series now because the storyline and characters are just amazing. It is so fast paced, loads of adventure and action included. With plot twist and cool friendships. And how could I forget amazing cool special creatures like doomslug. It was so cute hearing her little voice speak on audio.


Favourite Characters: Spensa


Read: 08/12/19 - 15/12/19


5 stars out of 5



Written by Sammie

No comments:

Post a Comment