Monday 30 July 2018

Heart of Thorns 

By Bree Barton


Blurb: 
In the ancient river kingdom, touch is a battlefield, bodies the instruments of war. Seventeen-year-old Mia Rose has pledged her life to hunting Gwyrach: women who can manipulate flesh, bones, breath, and blood.

Not women. Demons. The same demons who killed her mother without a single scratch. 

But when Mia's father suddenly announces her marriage to the prince, she is forced to trade in her knives and trousers for a sumptuous silk gown. Only after the wedding goes disastrously wrong does she discover she has dark, forbidden magic—the very magic she has sworn to destroy.

Review: 
Anyone who feels like reading this book I'd suggest you go in with an open mind and forget about any reviews you have read. I thought this was going to be a seriously strong feminist book and to be honest I didn't even feel like it touched on that subject and I thought I would hate it but turns out I absolutely love it.

This book starts of with an awesome little poem which sets the scne for the entire book, it then repeats the quote that is on the front cover "trust your heart even if it kills you" before actually starting. I'd just like to take a moment to appreciate that little quote that is repeated several times throughtout the book, I absolutely love it and from now on I'm going to do exactly what it says.


The first scene within the book is the night before the arranged marriage that Mia Rose's father has agreed to for his eldest daughter. From the very start of the book you can tell how much Mia loves her sister Angie. I loved this part because it's strange to actually read about sisterly love in a book, I also found it quite true with how sisters respond to their mothers death too as every sibling responds differently to a death of a close family member at such a young age.


Within this first scene you can tell how much Mia doesn't want to actually marry the prince and be pampered the rest of her life, unlike her sister who dreams of that in her unwell state. Mia desperately wants to be a part of the hunt so she can finally catch her mothers killer, but this arranged marriage has been planned since her mothers death, so she plans her escape including her sister whom she wants to protect from this shaded life when things take a twist!


I was in a reading slump when I started this book and I'd never heard of Bree Barton before, but since it was in the July FairyLoot box that I got I thought I'd give it a try, especially since it's not out in the U.K or America yet so this makes me even more excited that very few people have read it before. So to read the first chapter and find that I could relate to the sisterly love after a mothers death was a good start, and then to be captured by a huge twist straight away was good. I was so enticed I couldn't put it down but then the main scene happened and i felt my heart was ripped from my chest but I was so pleased at the same time for a certain someone.


From that moment I had to put it down and grab a cup of tea, I needed a break I didn't think I was ready to experience that change so soon. But when I started reading it again after my little breathing composing moment I couldn't stop reading it! It was so amazing and the scene changes felt so fluent and not too many. It honestly felt like I was part of the adventure, a few scenes in the adventure my heart was in my mouth I was so worried about Mia.


The characters that I met along the adventure were so well described and we found out different bits about their past throughout. This made me feel connected to the characters and I loved every single one. Apart from a few towards the end where I thought they were so horrible and twisted and Mia should not have to deal with them in her life.


I honestly can say that I did not dislike anything. I thought it was perfection, it was a book I needed in my life right at that moment. Since finishing this book I've felt so lost and I don't think I'm ready to read anything for a while as I fear I'll go into a reading slump because no book can be so good that I currently own. I hope that Bree releases more and creates this into a series because I'd love to find out what happens next. I feel like this review is not my best because I'm honestly still in pieces from reading it and I don't really want to include any spoilers.


Overall, I'd highly recommend this book to anyone that enjoys sisterly love, adventures, twists, magic, and a female main character.


Favourite Character: Mia Rose
Read: 24/07/18 - 25/07/18


5 stars out of 5


                                                                                                                                    written by Sammie
Check out Sammie's review of FairyLoot - July 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment