Wednesday 3 June 2020

The Tech 

By Mark Ravine


Blurb: 
Alexandra has just taken charge of her new team, a motley crew of screw-ups at the Arizona Field Office, the latest in a series of forgettable assignments. With a history of rebelling against authority and blunt speaking, she vows to change her ways and make this assignment work.
Within minutes of her taking charge, she is drawn into a bank robbery case. She leads her new team to catch the robbers but discovers that there is much more to the case than meets the eye. The very next day three girls go missing. Before they could be trafficked out of the country, she races against time to rescue them. Soon, she begins to realize that all the cases coming her way are mysteriously connected. As she unravels the threads of a massive conspiracy, she discovers that a secret organization with immense power and authority is behind these horrific crimes. Forces within the FBI thwart her every move to discover the truth. Helping her navigate this maze is the shadowy Michael Patterson. But can she trust him? Can she trust anyone? Soon, witnesses disappear, suspects are killed, with her life and the lives of her team in lethal danger. Will she come out of this alive? Will she uncover and expose this cabal? As time starts running out, Alexandra Cassidy has to evade indictment and defy death in a deadly game of cat and mouse.

Review: 

The author of this book contacted me through Lauren on the email address for the blog, he thought this book would suit me and that I would enjoy it. Well I did, I think this is only the second adult book that I have read so it made a change and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

So this book is about a detective who has moved to a different base and she is working with a new team. Near enough the while team has not been at this base for any longer than 9 months, they are all outsiders if that makes sense. The base that they work out have never fully closed a case, but Alexandra gets her first case as soon as she sets foot off the plane and it's closed within 24 hours.

To start off with Alexandra is quite a strong headed character and definitely a team leader. She seems quite forceful and if she was my leader and talked to me how she did with her staff to start of with, I don't think I would have actually liked her. But once she is sort of settled into her new role the way she speaks to the members of her team changes and she becomes more friendly with them.

I loved how the ending of each chapter was the start of the next. I know that sounds really basic and dumb and you're possibly questioning how or why I liked that when every book does it. But here's the thing, this book did it differently, the end of each chapter was the end of that case but it linked into a new case which started in the next chapter. It was just well thought out and what made this book that bit more exciting.

Another thing that I liked about this book was that each case was different, yes there was links to the cases and it showed how different companies/people had a part in the past case and the current case. Obviously, we met new characters along the way but the majority of them were the same which I liked as it kept its consistency even though there was a new case and theme to it.

I feel that the only thing that let this book down in my opinion was the extremely long chapters. It felt like this book was a lot longer than 480 pages. I'm not sure the length of the chapters is standard in adult books because the first adult book I read was like literally 10 years ago and being truthful I've only just discovered it was an adult book. 

So throughout this book the team develops quite a lot especially with more cases that we go through. Mike is just an 'IT Tech' guy, hence the name of this book. Well I think that's the reason why the book is called The Tech. I won't go into too much detail because it all comes together within the book. Mike is a bit of a mystery man but seems to know everything about everyone. He starts to flirt with Alexandra and I love the awkwardness between them.

I feel that this book was just thought out all the way through and the small details within each case just pierced together by the end. I'm sure I've mentioned this quite a lot throughout this review but it's just what makes this book great, along with the humour among the team. I also loved how there was a mole within the small team, it just added that bit of mystery to the book and  how the team tries to discover who it is throughout the different cases.

I'd definitely recommend this book to people if they like FBI cases, mysteries and a slow burn romance.

Favourite Character: Nancy


Read: 08/05/20 - 03/06/20


4 stars out of 5

Written by Sammie

No comments:

Post a Comment