Thursday 23 April 2020

Sorrow Patch (Untitled Series, book 1)

By Zion Blue


Blurb: 
In the once-tranquil village of Dwerry, change is stirring the air.

One soul touched by magic can feel it coming.

In this forgotten land lost to time, Patch’s peaceful, quiet, joyful life is about to turn into one adventure after another.

Recent events in the Creeper Forest have left Patch with terrible dreams and the nagging conviction that a supernatural force is trying to warn him about dire things to come.

Meanwhile, in the South Lands beyond Dwerry, a steely-eyed King Lucent sets his sights on something he wants from the village—and expects to have, whatever the costs.

Step into this wondrous realm of soldiers reborn and the fearsome Sorrow Man in a tale that will leave you shocked, saddened, and hungry for more.

Sorrow Patch, an epic adventure like no other, welcomes you on this mystical journey.

Review: 
I have rated this book honestly just like every other book I read, but because I was requested to review it by the author, I will try to give it a bit more of an insight on why I have gave the book this rating. The main reason is I feel like this book is missing so much and it can be developed into a greater book if only the author had a better editor/proof reader/beta reader. Please don't kill me if you're one of those people, it's just what I feel.

I will start with the main characters, Patch and Ctain. I feel like we are missing so much about their background, how they really ended up being stepbrothers, their true feelings towards each other growing up and their activities together. We were thrown into their  relationship and then all of a sudden they are great enemies. I just feel like we are missing something maybe that's just me. 

It's like Patch and Becka's relationship as far as I was aware they were just friends, they get reunited and then they're having sex. Like I'm so confused. I understand where the author wants to go with these relationships but I feel like there's a huge chunk of the bunk missing and this could easily be filled by developing these relationships. Even if it's stupid mundane tasks like dealing with the farms together or playing in fields or chasing animals. It would also be nice to see more of the relationship between the Grandfather and Patch.

Now onto the actual story; at the beginning; I really didn't feel like it was flowing that well and it was like a stop start journey, with no smoothness to it. Scenes kept changing and so did the feelings between the characters. There seems to also be a few problems with the story or at least areas where it can be developed, for instance when Patch is recovering and the sorrow man is in the room that he shares with Ctain but with Patch screaming it doesn't wake Ctain up so he can see the sorrow man but it fetches his Grandfather. 

Another thing is that Patch trains with the sorrow man for 2/3 years. It only seemed like it was weeks at most. I felt we could have went into more detail about the training. We could have also followed Ctains point of view or even Becka since both of them were with the King. We could have seen what life was like for them after this whole disaster with Dwerry.

I did actually really enjoy the concept of this story and I understand what the author was trying to get across but the parts that I have mentioned are the parts that let it down with my eyes.

I do like the characters within the book but I would just like the friendships to merge together, so I can get a better feel for the book. I feel like the reason I've truly gave this rating is because I can see the potential and I have hopes that the author gets far.


Favourite Character: Patch


Read: 16/04/20 - 19/04/20


2 stars out of 5


Written by Sammie

No comments:

Post a Comment