Wednesday 25 March 2020

The Perfect Fight (Skin Trials Series, book 0.5)

By S.Y. Humphrey


Blurb: 
My name is Galilee Bartlett. I'm from Liberty, Texas.

It's the year 2031, and though I'm only seventeen, I guess you can say I'm already at my wit's end.

My father, the former mayor of Liberty, an honorable farmer and a veteran who fought for his country, is dying. He's got a rare, untreatable disease. The doctors have stopped seeing him. In our new genetic-based government of Perfect Society, a computer algorithm has determined that my family doesn't have enough "value" to justify keeping my dad alive.

That's because every member of my house is either dead or disabled. The only one left to keep our farm afloat is me. Now our longtime enemy Larry Ledbetter is gunning for everything we have.

The weight of surviving practically alone is crushing me.

Until a covert group of my classmates make me a dangerous offer. They tell me of a cure for Dad's cancer. But it comes wrapped in a vicious scheme. Not only could we shut down Ledbetter and his greedy friends, we could ultimately destroy the oppressive Perfect Society.

Would you accept defeat and simply walk away? Or take off the gloves and put up a fight?

A dystopian suspense must-read in the Skin Trials series.

Review: 
I really wish this book was longer. That's the only bad point about this book.

The characters are really quite lovely and I don't think I actually dislike any of them. I feel like they did lack development though and I think we would have got the development if the book was a touch longer.

Same as the story really, it was a really good plot but I just wish it was developed a bit more. And by development I mean just a bit more detail about the heists and an input on how she met these characters that are helping her. Maybe a point of view from one of them to see how these heists made them feel. I would have also loved to read more details about how she lost both her brothers and how her family has developed from the start.

The setting of the book was good and I loved every bit about it; the farms, the suffering, the drought, the flooding. It just seems to all fit with our current environment, and you know what really annoys me in 5 years time that is normal just like the book and people still think Global Warming is not happening.

I can't wait for the next book.

Favourite Character: Galilee


Read: 12/03/20 - 13/03/20


5 stars out of 5

written by Sammie
Check out Sammie's review of Book 1: Skin Trials

No comments:

Post a Comment