Wednesday 15 January 2020

Illumicrate - December 2019

Theme: Secrets and Schemes


Items: 
  • Ploy & Play Mug by @rosiethorns88  
  • Star Wars Pin Set by @fableandblack
  • Four Paths Candle by @ameliakitchencandles
  • Caraval Patch by @fableandblack
  • 2020 Calendar by @merwild and @chattynora
  • Blood Heir by Amelie Wen Zhao
  • Collectible Coin by @monolimeart

Review: 
This month's theme was Secrets and Schemes. I decided to get the box because I knew there was a calendar in it and a Star Wars item. The book also sounded interesting. 

The first item in the box was the Ploy & Play Mug, this was inspired by A Court of Thorns and Roses. A series I haven’t read yet but do plan to. I really liked the design of the mug, particularly the colours involved are so pretty. I’m not a big user of mugs and now I have plenty but I do appreciate getting a mug, just wished I used them more.
Then I got the Star Wars pin set. This was two badges, one of lightsabers and one of BB-8. I love the BB-8 one, I love collecting badges. Half full on my first pin flag. Keep the pins coming. If you want to see my pin flag, check out our Instagram: @angelicimpressions1 

Since I live at home with my parents, I’m not too bothered about candles but my mam loves them so I’m fine with receiving them. This candle had a nice scent of bonfire. I do love a good bonfire, so the scent was perfect for me. 
The box also included a Caraval patch. Again, I haven’t read it but it does add to my pin flag collection. It also looks cool, a big top hat with nice colouring.

The item I was looking most forward to was the calendar. The size was disappointing, I did expect it to be bigger but I’m not too disheartened as it does have some lovely designs. It also has enough writing spaces. I think the only thing that annoys me, it doesn’t have the days of the week on, just the date. Although, I've just realised that the Saturday and Sunday dates are in a different colour. There’s a large range of book quotes/references/designs, so it actually includes some I have read.
This month’s collectible coin was fun, I liked the colours. We have a magnet collection on the fridge, so I enjoy adding to that. I basically like any item that can be collected.

The book was Blood Heir by Amelie Wen Zhao. This has to be my favourite sprayed edges look. The edges were styled to look like blood dripping down. I appreciate strongly this choice over doing just all red edges. This book is also signed and just looks really cool inside.
Overall, I liked this box but didn’t love it. I don’t know if it was because I opened christmas so I already received a lot of great gifts or if it’s because January theme sounds more appealing. I’d say 4 stars as it's definitely not as good as my previous Illumicrate


Rating: 4 rune out of 5
Written by Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment