Monday 16 December 2019

Burning (After the Thaw Series, book 0.5)

By Tamar Sloan and Heidi Catherine


Blurb: 
Only the chosen shall breed.

In a new world isolated by a rising, toxic sea, a single bridge connects Askala to the Outlands. Those who remain will need to pass a Proving to determine if they have the intelligence and heart to champion the future of their broken Earth.

Those who succeed will become Bound, the ones chosen to breed.

Those who fail, are Unbound. Free of responsibility, but robbed of their ability to bear children.

Four young lives are born into this world. Magnus and Callix, two brothers determined to uphold this new order. Two brothers in love with the same girl.

Amity, the one who must make the impossible choice.

And Mercy, the girl who no one sees, but sees it all.

As a new threat to Askala emerges, secrets will be revealed and the fight for survival will become their biggest challenge yet.

Life is fragile. Love will refuse to be denied.

Sacrifice will be inevitable.

Review: 
This is a novella for a trilogy from what I believe, I received this book for an honest review.

This book series is about people who are bound and unbound. They are based in a placed called Askala, which I believe is either a misspelling of Alaska or the new dystopian version.

So either way this little village/town is trying to save the population and the existing animals in a way. The bound have a higher ground, they can have all medical treatment to extend their life, but there is one condition they have to produce children with another bound person so they can keep the population going. Where as the unbound are not allowed to have children, if they get ill they are only allowed medicine to take the pain away and make their life more comfortable not to actually extend it.

The actual concept of this book was pretty good, I enjoyed the storyline and the introduction to the series. The characters were okay, I felt like they didn't really develop much but maybe if they are in the main series I will find that they have developed. I think the only person that developed was Amity, but that was just because she discovered love and what it actually was. At times Magnus and Callix do get on my nerves, especially Callix. He just sort of seems that stuck up kid even though it's his brother Magnus that is supposed to be stuck up. Callix is just a very jealous character and I'm not entirely sure how I actually feel about him right now. I feel some of the things he does is sweet and how he hides his feelings but then other times he things he says really annoys me.

The concept of the story is quite realistic with all this climate change talk, I imagine some of the places in many years will actually be like this. I also feel like certain areas will be secluded just like Askala and people from other towns will not be allowed in.

I'm not too sure whether I will actually carry on the series, I will more than likely if I feel like I have nothing to read in the new year or if they are on special offer.

Favourite Character: Amity

Read: 28/11/19 - 03/12/19

4 stars out of 5

Written by Sammie

No comments:

Post a Comment