Friday 27 September 2019

Five Dark Fates (Three Dark Crowns Series, book 4)

By Kendare Blake


Blurb: 
After the battle with Katharine, the rebellion lies in tatters. Jules’s legion curse has been unbound, leaving her out of her mind and unfit to rule. Arsinoe must find a cure, even as the responsibility of stopping the ravaging mist rests heavy on her shoulders, and her shoulders alone. Mirabella has disappeared.

Queen Katharine’s rule over Fennbirn remains intact—for now. But her attack on the rebellion exacted a high price: her beloved Pietyr. Without him, who can she rely upon when Mirabella arrives, seemingly under a banner of truce? As oldest and youngest circle each other, and Katharine begins to yearn for the closeness that Mirabella and Arsinoe share, the dead queens hiss caution—Mirabella is not to be trusted.

In this conclusion to the Three Dark Crowns series, three dark sisters will rise to fight as the secrets of Fennbirn’s history are laid bare. Allegiances will shift. Bonds will be tested, and some broken forever.


The fate of the island lies in the hands of its queens.

Review: 
This is sadly the last book in the series and I am so disappointed that it now has officially ended. I can't wait for more of her books to be out so I can read them. This series as a whole is amazing. And this book was just a whole new level.

The book starts right where Two Dark Reigns finished. Mirabella, Jules and Arsinoe are back on the island thanks to the mist. Jules war gift has now been released and her body is overcome since the low blood magic has been broken. That's about as much as I will say, those are a few spoilers but if you are reading this review, you surely must have read the other books so you don't get spoilers.

Within this book there is a lot of action, it is super fast paced. I don't want to go into too much detail but there a few moments that make you try and hold your full body in one piece as you feel like shattering. There was several moments that tears appeared in my eyes, so make sure you have a box of tissues near by. I'm not sure if it was the moments that made me cry or the thought that this is the last book.

The characters in this book have developed so much and to know that they always think positively is actually quite nice. It makes a change that not one of them thinks negatively and it actually improves the atmosphere of the whole book. Arsinoe feels like she has developed the least but then at the same time, I feel like she is just perfect and lived up to her shy powerful personality. So personally, I say she has just grew into her boots and it's a shame that this happened in the last book. But I'm so pleased that it happened eventually and that I feel that she is now complete. I just wish I found out the reaction at the end that really tore me in two.

There was also a lot of sisterly love and trust going on within this book especially between the three sisters. There was also friendship goals that people dream of. At times there was a few moments where the sisters went against each other but there was reasons for this, you discover them the more you read into the book, so don't hate people straight away, trust your gut instincts.

I feel like the actual ending of the book was quite good as it completed everything to be truthful but just that one part at the end was just heart wrenching. So definitely prepare yourself for that. It just makes me feel like I'm not whole after reading this book.

There is still a touch of romance through this book which is actually quite nice, it wasn't too soppy and to be honest, it's how people actually react when they're trying to hide it so I feel it was quite fitting. With this love there is also jealousy, which is nice to actually read about in this book as there wasn't much within the first three. 

So like I said at the start of the review this book was just truly amazing and I am proud to say it has made me change my favourite books read list. I plan on reading this book series at least once a year.

I definitely recommend this book series to anyone that likes adventure, low blood magic, love, friendship, magic, sisterly love and just a whole bunch of awesome characters and story-line.


Favourite Characters: Arsinoe

Read: 12/09/19 - 18/09/19

5 stars out of 5
Written by Sammie

No comments:

Post a Comment