Thursday 5 September 2019

FairyLoot - August 2019

Theme: Things are not what they seem


Items: 
  • One Ring to Rule Them All Pocket Mirror by FairyLoot
  • Lunar Cutlery Set by @taratjah
  • Ember in the Ashes Pillow Case by @saintdri and @kdpletters
  • Mistborn Metal Bookmark by @in.the.reads
  • Hair Scrunchies by @taratjah
  • Cresswell Candle by @flickthewick and @taratjah
  • Pencil Case
  • Exclusive Tarot Cards by @loweana.art
  • Merciful Crow by Margaret Owen
Review: 
I'm doing this review order different to my unboxing video (featured above) because I'm quite short on time. So I'm going to be doing this from the order on the Spoiler Card. Apologies in advance!

The first thing that is mentioned is the pocket mirror, the mirror was based on The Lord of the Rings and it says 'One Thing to Rule Them All' in elvish. It is gold in colour with the traditional Lord of the Rings writing. I did like the mirror but I'm not a fan of the style I like to have a cover on my mirrors so they don't get scratched especially when I put them in my bag. This isn't the first time that a pocket mirror has been included in a box, in a way I think the design was a bit plain and simple really.

The next thing was the cutlery set. This was such a cool item to include in the box and for them to match the metal galaxy straws from a past box was super cool. On each of the cutlery there was a quote. These were "mirrors have an uncanny way of telling the truth", "even in the future the story begins with once upon a time", and the chopsticks had a moon engraved on them. The box that they were stored in was a nice simple pale pink box with a nice white plain design on the lid. This was such a cool way to store them and they will be great for camping. The actual cutlery were placed in a pink velvet bag. I'm not a fan of the feeling of velvet so that was the only downside. Plus I have my set knife and fork already that I use and won't use any other one, I'm kind of special that way. Also I don't eat much Chinese food to justify using chop sticks plus I don't know how to use them. But overall, I found them pretty cool.
A pillowcase based on An Ember in the Ashes was the next item on the spoiler card. The quote on the pillowcase is "you will burn for you are an ember in the ashes", this is a direct quote from the book which is pretty cool. The style of the writing is perfect and I like how there is sort of a fire behind the writing that is quite a nice touch to the pillowcase. On the other side there is 3 of the main characters with the same darkness. That is the only downside of the pillowcase, it is quite dark but then this also has it's perks so you don't notice any dirt and don't need to wash it as much.
The next item was a metal bookmark, this is the second one that we have had in a FairyLoot box. Personally, I find them a bit heavy and I would have preferred it they weren't the same colour as each other. This item was based on Mistborn and the quote on it is "let them see my weakness and let them see me overcome it." The thing that was different about this bookmark was that it actually had moons and other things cut out. There is also a nice little design at the bottom that is engraved. You can't really see it well in a photo but in real life it is quite detailed and pretty.

Hair scrunchies were next, they've never included hair scrunchies before but they have included hair accessories. They are quite unusual colours for hair bobbles but I suppose that's why they look quite cool; there is blue, red, and green. They each have a little pattern on, the red one is not as obvious as the other colours. I personally won't use scrunchies because they won't actually hold much of my hair because it's so short. These scrunchies were inspired from the covers of The Graceling Realm Series by Kristen Cashore.

The next item is a candle which was inspired by Stalking Jack the Ripper Series by Kerri Maniscalco. I've missed having candles so it was nice to have one in this box as well as last months box. This scent was actually really nice it was mainly chocolate witha subtle coffee. I actually want to read this series but I'm not sure when I will actually get round to it.

The final item that wasn't actually part of the book was the tarot cards. These were a bit of a let down in my opinion because I did not really want Harry and Hermione to be a set, I wanted Harry and someone else. I just feel that these two are too cliche, I understand that they are the main characters of the books but maybe they could have included Hermione at the start with someone else like maybe Luna. I do appreciate them though and I do like them I just wish they weren't a set.

The book included in this months box was The Merciful Crow by Margaret Owen. I really can't wait to read this book, it sounds really good and something that I'd definitely pick up in the book store. I loved how there was a map on the inside of the book. That there was black and white artwork on the signature page and that the signature was signed in silver. I also loved how there was artwork on the reverse of the dust jacket that was related to the book and that there was an embossed crow on the hardback of the book. I just loved every bit of the book there was so much thought that actually went into it. The only thing that was lacking was the sprayed edges but then at the end of the day this wasn't a huge let down because all of the books recently have been sprayed edges so it makes it a nice change really. I also love how they included a pencil case/makeup bag that as based on the book of the month. It was such a pretty design on both sides and I loved the quote that was included "one way or another, we always feed the crow", this seems to be quite dark but I'm not sure if it is supposed to be, I will find out when I get round to reading the book, this shouldn't be too long hopefully.




Written by Sammie.


No comments:

Post a Comment