Wednesday 4 September 2019

A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses Series, book 1)

By Sarah J. Maas


Blurb: 
Feyre's survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill – the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price ...

Dragged to a magical kingdom for the murder of a faerie, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding far more than his piercing green eyes would suggest. Feyre's presence at the court is closely guarded, and as she begins to learn why, her feelings for him turn from hostility to passion and the faerie lands become an even more dangerous place. Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse, or she will lose him forever.

Review: 
I've been meaning to read this book for a long time, I had heard mixed reviews. Some friends said I'd like it and some said I wouldn't. Being truthful it was nothing special, it didn't make me want to read it constantly, I was able to put it down and there was a few moments that were slow. But all that aside it was still a good book and worth the read.

The start of the book felt like it was a fairytale which I quite enjoyed, then when Feyre kills a werewolf her life turns upside down. With Feyre's character I feel sorry for her because she made a promise to her mother that she'd look after her sisters and dad for eternity but then when she is took away, she feels guilty and feels like she has not looked after them and let them down. But when she discovers something that makes her think twice, she starts to settle into her new life.

There is only a few action parts in the book really, otherwise you are just learning about the faerie world and how things have ended up, how they are now. This is quite nice to be honest because you get to learn about the other species and how they live as well as the other parts of the faerie world and how they all come together. The action parts of the book aren't full on action they are just more identifiable than the other parts in the book but they are interesting.

The romance scenes are a bit cringe worth for me to start of with but not as drastic as they are at the end where there's too much detail. But that's just no something I'm a fan of, I know other people just see it as part of the story and have read worse, but that's not me I'm just a prude and don't really like detail of romance in stories. I prefer it to be a fairytale romance and just subtle actions to show that they love each other that makes them think of the other person constantly.

There are no characters in this book that annoy me, they all have their personalities for a reason which we discover throughout the book. I love how certain characters are cruel and certain characters are so caring it's unbelievable.

I'd definitely recommend reading this book, but so far I really don't think that it deserves all the hype that it currently has. My opinion may change when I get round to reading the other books.

The ending of the book was a bit of a let down as it was quite predictable in a way and just plain and simple. There may be a reason behind this and I can see that the story will go on further from the events just before the ending. The main action just before the ending is really well though of and actually quite sweet, I'd say that was possibly my favourite bit out of the whole book. Just purely because this is where you find out the true personalities of the faeries.

Favourite Character: Feyre


Read: 13/08/19 - 22/08/19


4 stars out of 5

Written by Sammie

No comments:

Post a Comment