Thursday 29 August 2019

Burn for Burn (Burn for Burn Series, book 1)

By Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian


Blurb: 
Postcard-perfect Jar Island is home to charming tourist shops, pristine beaches, amazing oceanfront homes—and three girls secretly plotting revenge.

KAT is sick and tired of being bullied by her former best friend.

LILLIA has always looked out for her little sister, so when she discovers that one of her guy friends has been secretly hooking up with her, she’s going to put a stop to it.

MARY is perpetually haunted by a traumatic event from years past, and the boy who’s responsible has yet to get what’s coming to him.

None of the girls can act on their revenge fantasies alone without being suspected. But together…anything is possible.

With an alliance in place, there will be no more “I wish I’d said…” or “If I could go back and do things differently...” These girls will show Jar Island that revenge is a dish best enjoyed together.

Review: 
I didn't really enjoy this book that much and I'm not sure whether I will actually read the other two books in this trilogy. Knowing me, I am more than likely to but I'm not going to be in a big rush to read them and I'll possibly just get the ebook format rather than the actual book.

The characters within this book were just far too cliche. They were just really cringe worthy and got on my nerves quite a lot. The first 100 pages of the book were so slow, to an extent there just wasn't much actually happening and I was so close to actually not completing this book but I pushed through. They were literally just starting the new term of school and one of the 3 girls had returned back to the main island with a whole new appearance to get this one guy to pay attention to her after so many years, it's just honestly quite pathetic. The one thing that possibly won't make sense is that the book is wrote so it flows and it's quite fast paced but it's slow because there's just physically nothing happening. 

There is trigger warnings within this book for depression, suicide and eating disorders! So you've been warned, it's nothing too drastic and doesn't go into much detail until later on in the book, but bullying is the main topic.

So basically, on to the actual main part of the book. There are 3 girls, they are different levels of popularity but all have one thing in common, they want to get revenge. So what happens is they all come together in secret and set these cruel plans to embarrass the people they want to get revenge on. Once it actually gets into this point, it's quite good and gruesome. But then also at the same time it's slightly extreme what some of them do. I'd also think that since some of them are aware of how bad bullying is that they wouldn't actually want this to happen to others, which is where the characters get on my nerves because I find them two-faced and bitchy. But aren't most females in a high school environment. You'd think I'd have learnt my lesson with the amount of books I've read like this.

Overall, this book would get 4 stars because if the slow start and the annoying characters, if you put them to one side you've actually got a decent book. Especially with that ending!

If you like bitchy, high-school drama, friendships and slow starts then this book is 100% for you. It's a lot different to her other series which I actually really enjoyed, maybe I just need to give this series more time.

Favourite Character: Kit


Read: 23/07/19 - 27/07/19


4 stars out of 5


Written by Sammie

No comments:

Post a Comment