Tuesday 4 June 2019

Every Day (Every Day Series, book 1)

By David Levithan


Blurb: 
Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.
There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.

It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone A wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day.

Review: 
I seen this as the Netflix original first and then I discovered it was based on a book, so I then added it to my to be read list. I was then in a reading slump and nothing that I owned was helping me so I thought I'd check my local library out. Guess what? They had this, so I just had to lend it and read it.

This review does not have any trigger warnings but the book does go into more detail on triggers than the movie. The triggers are depression, suicide and self harm.

I have to say though don't really compare this to the Netflix original, some parts are the same like the major things, but the minor things are different which actually builds up more story. So if you liked the film, you'll like the book.

The whole concept is the same where there is this person/soul that wakes up in a different body every day, hence the book name. This person/soul does not associate themselves with a gender but for my terms I am going to be calling it him, other people may not like it but that's my decision. So he wakes up first in a guy called Justin and makes this day really special with Rhiannon, even though he knows he shouldn't change anything drastically, this is a rule he has been sticking to since he was a little kid.

This book is always based on his point of view and once he has spent the day with Rhiannon he wants to spend every day with her, he has fallen in love with her. He ends up telling her and another guy about what he experiences due to an accident that occurred while he was in this one persons body. I won't go into any details because it spoils the main parts that happen in the book.

There is no real friendships within this book apart from A and Rhiannon. There is obviously the friendships we meet each day but we only really get a days worth of friendship but since he is trying to meet with Rhiannon each day, I'd only really class that as a friendship. It is quite sweet how they act with each other and how they help each other out.

Reading this book you realise how much of a dick Rhiannon's boyfriend is but then when you are in love you are blinded, or you just accept that you can't get any better even though you know they don't make you happy every day. So I feel sorry for Rhiannon in a way but then she should be strong and do what her heart and gut tells her to do. Eugh love is such a complicated thing.

To be honest this book is actually quite well wrote, and is definitely different, but it makes me think of the book The Host. I'm not too sure why it doesn't make 5 stars possibly because I didn't really enjoy it as much as other books and it wasn't really that fast paced. Also because nothing really happened it was just him trying to see Rhiannon each day and nothing really developed.

I didn't know this book was a trilogy until I finished the book, and I don't think that I'm actually going to read the rest of the books. I'm quite happy just to leave it as it is and if I happen to see them in the library then I may consider reading them. But I'm 100% happy I never bought this book, because I don't think I'd read it again sadly.

I'd recommend this book if you like romance, and host type characters. Also if you've watched the Netflix original you should read it and see how different it is for you.


Favourite Character: Rhiannon


Read: 30/04/19 - 04/05/19


4 stars out of 5

Written by Sammie



No comments:

Post a Comment