Thursday 9 May 2019

Onyx Elixir (Mixologists and Pirates Series, book 5)

By Frost Kay


Blurb: 
Fact 752 - Karma was a vindictive wench, and Luck, no lady.

Allie never believed in Karma, but after the week she'd had, she was prone to believe that if such an entity existed, it had to be a woman. Only a woman could hold such an ugly, nasty grudge, and make Allie's life so impossibly miserable. If spying for the enemy and a broken heart wasn't enough, someone had even stolen her favorite heels. Classy, right? Bad luck strikes again.

Fact 689 - Southern girls were supposed to be graceful losers.

Spying for Sloven wasn't the plan, but every attempt she made to escape his clutches only entrenched her deeper into a war Allie never wanted to be part of. Good thing her mama taught her how to fight dirty. Allie would play his game, and do the one thing he didn't think possible. She'd win.

Fact 521 - Never play a player, or in this case, a southern belle.

It was just one compromise...

Review: 
OMG! This book is just next level. 

This book follows on from after Allie Sae has been abused by the King and is asked to spy for him. She is struggling mentally (possible PTSD) with the actual memory of it and is anxious every time she is out or at work even though her friends are watching her back every minute.

During this book we find that the king is still spying on her and has had cameras installed in to her and Jer's house which creeps her. Allie is asked to wear contacts which act as a camera for the King by someone, I won't mention who because it's the most shocking moment through out the book apart from the end.

The plot of the book is really good and is fast paced for how short it is. This is what I love most about Frost's books they are so fast, so much action and they are really small, which annoys me at times because I want more and don't want to wait for the next book but I suppose that's what keeps me reading them. I feel that Allie's character has developed a lot from the very first book and now she is a totally different person in a good way she is acting more like a woman and actually thinks of the consequences of her actions now, where as at the start of the series she really wasn't like this. Where as Jer's character hasn't developed much, she still supports her best friend and is always there for her but she hasn't really changed much. I guess this is expected as she is just a side character and I've heard we will get more onto Jer in the later books, which is so exciting because it would be really nice to see how she has actually developed.

The relationship between Allie and Blade is just ahhh! Perfect, I love them so much. I'm so pleased Allie has come to terms with him and just OMG it's perfection. Sorry I couldn't fan anymore about them. I love how after Allie uses the distortion band he still wants to be with her and protect her, it's just so romantic. I can tell that Allie's feelings for him have definitely developed.

I found that her friends have developed quite a lot too and they are a lot more cheeky and their true personalities are starting to show now, so I'm pleased about that.

But overall, this book is just perfect. I love it so much and the series is just captivating and unbelievable. I totally recommend this book if you love plot twists, developing  love stories, character development and excellent/shocking story twists.


Favourite Character: Allie Sae


Read: 01/04/19


5 stars out of 5
Written by Sammie
Check out Sammie's review of Book 6: Indigo Alloy


No comments:

Post a Comment