Tuesday 14 May 2019

Five Feet Apart 

By Rachael Lippincott, Mikki Daughtry, and Tobias Iaconis


Blurb: 
Can you love someone you can never touch?

Stella Grant likes to be in control—even though her totally out of control lungs have sent her in and out of the hospital most of her life. At this point, what Stella needs to control most is keeping herself away from anyone or anything that might pass along an infection and jeopardize the possibility of a lung transplant. Six feet apart. No exceptions.

The only thing Will Newman wants to be in control of is getting out of this hospital. He couldn’t care less about his treatments, or a fancy new clinical drug trial. Soon, he’ll turn eighteen and then he’ll be able to unplug all these machines and actually go see the world, not just its hospitals.

Will’s exactly what Stella needs to stay away from. If he so much as breathes on Stella she could lose her spot on the transplant list. Either one of them could die. The only way to stay alive is to stay apart. But suddenly six feet doesn’t feel like safety. It feels like punishment.

What if they could steal back just a little bit of the space their broken lungs have stolen from them? Would five feet apart really be so dangerous if it stops their hearts from breaking too?

Review: 
I've watched the Netflix original for this book and I cried my eyes out to it I loved it, so when I discovered there was a book I added it to my to be read list straight away. Then my next trip into Waterstones I saw it on the table with the books buy one get one half price so guess what I done. I bought it, read it and now I'm reviewing it.

This book was generally sweet and I did love the actual concept of the story. But I felt that it had too much of A Fault in Our Stars vibe, which I also didn't mind but I didn't love and I would never read again. Much like this book but don't let that stop you from reading this book because it was well written, and by this point if you've been reading my reviews, I am quite strict and biased so read it and make your own opinion.

So this book is about a girl who suffers with cystic fibrosis and she has a friend on the same ward that suffers the same condition as her called Poe. They have known each other since she was 6 years old so it has been quite a long friendship and they see each other every time they require treatment and FaceTime each other for breakfast and before bed.

Stella is an app developer and a web designer, while she is in for this round of treatment she is finishing of an app that she developed to help other people with life threatening conditions to remind them to take their tablets at set times of day. Which I find is pretty cool and making it a fun thing out of a life condition.

Stella is supposed to be going on a school holiday with her best friends that she planned but she has turned ill hence why she has ended up in hospital going through another course of antibiotics and treatment. This works out quite well for her because she meets a new guy called Will who she finds quite cute and he suffers from the same condition as well as another one which I can't remember the name of. Maybe it's Hepatitis B but couldn't be 100% on that.

Stella and Will soon start getting to know each other and start to slowly fall in love as is expected. And is also very similar to The Fault in Our Stars again, but oh well.

Okay so this situation with cystic fibrosis is that you are supposed to go to all these precautions to protect yourself from infection which will in theory extend your life, but because her lungs aren't getting any better she starts taking risks and reduced the distance down to 5 feet. Stella also manages to get Will to start taking his tablets so he has a better chance of surviving.

What really annoys me with this is that they keep this distance to prevent infection and all that malarkey but then they go in the swimming pool together! So does that not defeat the object? Like they're technically putting all the germs in the water which is touching each other so I really don't understand this. *Throws hands up in the air*

But that aside it is a sweet story and it does contain some romance, which wasn't too cheesy and I survived it. So that is saying that the romance is definitely on a low. The situations they face as well are quite realistic to an extent, feeling pressure from parents and friends to do certain tasks or to get better when they may actually not feel up to doing it.

Within this book there is also a death which was quite scary, I'm not sure why I found it scary but I just found it quite upsetting. So be prepared for this, I think it was generally how this person died and what the other 2 people tried to do to help this person. It soon changed the other 2 people's actions which was a good thing.

I'd recommend this book if you liked The Fault in Our Stars, or romance. But those are the only reasons I'd recommend it. It was generally a good book it was well wrote and fast paced, but it just wasn't for me.

The reason I gave it 3 stars was because the pool situation really annoyed me, and then cause it was too much of The Fault in Our Stars vibe. But other than those things that was all I could fault.


Favourite Character: Poe


Read: 29/03/19 - 30/03/19


3 stars out of 5
Written by Sammie


No comments:

Post a Comment