Tuesday 2 April 2019

Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer Series, book 1)

By Laini Taylor


Blurb: 
The dream chooses the dreamer, not the other way around—and Lazlo Strange, war orphan and junior librarian, has always feared that his dream chose poorly. Since he was five years old he’s been obsessed with the mythic lost city of Weep, but it would take someone bolder than he to cross half the world in search of it. Then a stunning opportunity presents itself, in the person of a hero called the Godslayer and a band of legendary warriors, and he has to seize his chance or lose his dream forever.

What happened in Weep two hundred years ago to cut it off from the rest of the world? What exactly did the Godslayer slay that went by the name of god? And what is the mysterious problem he now seeks help in solving?

The answers await in Weep, but so do more mysteries—including the blue-skinned goddess who appears in Lazlo’s dreams. How did he dream her before he knew she existed? And if all the gods are dead, why does she seem so real?

Welcome to Weep.

Review: 
I read this book as part of a group read along, so it was totally a new experience for me but I did want to read the book so it was totally worth it. I was just starting to get into a reading slump while reading this book so my opinion may change when I reread it because I DNF Muse of Nightmares because of this slump. I must clarify that Strange the Dreamer was not the cause of my reading slump, I was in the process of moving, and had quite a lot of stress so it just wasn't the correct time to read quite a big long winded book.

Laini Taylor is such a smart smart person and I love how she has done it but I really want to know how she came up with the idea. So getting onto it, the book starts of with a blue person getting stabbed by a railing from up above. We find out who this person is at the end of the book, which is so twisted but an amazing idea.

We then follow the point of view of Lazlo which is really interesting because he has researched into the whole race of the Gods and the adults of Weep feel through Lazlo.

The feelings within this book are quite strong and it is very moving, there are scenes of rape mentioned in the book so if this is a trigger for you, I wouldn't really recommend it.

The story-line of this book is really good, and I like the godspawn, children have unique powers that can be used on the humans of Weep. Sarai's powers are really interesting especially how she can speak to Lazlo. Plus it was really sweet how these two fell in love, but I'm not sure how it can be such a strong bond when they have barely met. You possibly know the bit I'm on about if you have read the book, it just slightly annoys me that part is a bit unrealistic. But oh well I can get over it.

The ending, the whole plot, the twists was all very well thought of. Like I say I found it slightly slow but I think that was only because I was in a reading slump.

Favourite Character: Sarai

Read: 29/01/19 - 11/02/19


4 stars out of 5

Written by Sammie

No comments:

Post a Comment