Tuesday 9 June 2020

The Sky Weaver (Iskari Series, book 3)

By Kristen Ciccarelli


Blurb: 
At the end of one world, there always lies another.

Safire, a soldier, knows her role in this world is to serve the King of Firgaard—helping to maintain the peace in her oft-troubled nation.

Eris, a deadly pirate, has no such conviction. Known as the Death Dancer for her ability to evade even the most determined of pursuers, she possesses a superhuman power to move between worlds.

When one can roam from dimension to dimension, can one ever be home? Can love and loyalty truly exist?

Now Safire and Eris—sworn enemies—find themselves on a common mission: to find Asha, the last Namsara. From the port city of Darmoor to the fabled faraway Star Isles, their search and their stories become woven ever more tightly together as they discover the uncertain fate they’re hurtling towards may just be a shared one. In this world—and the next.

Review: 

This is the third and final book of the Iskari Series. Like the second one, this was a different story set in the same universe. The main character was Safire, who has been present in the previous two books. I was quite excited to read this book as I quite like Safire’s character. When I read book 2 I was a bit thrown back that the main character wasn’t the same as book 1 and Roa was a character with very little known about her. This is why book 3 was more exciting because Safire is a stronger recurring character.

The main plot of this book is Safire is trying to hunt down a criminal known as the Death Dancer. Then we have the second perspective of the book which is Eris aka the Death Dancer. Her mission is to find Asha for the pirates she works for. Eris has an ability to portal which she uses to steal valuable items.

A thing I enjoyed about this book more than the previous was that there were more dragons. The Caged Queen didn’t have anywhere near as many dragons as book 1. But book 3 adds a bit more dragons in, which I appreciate.

Another thing I enjoyed was the pirate element. Although I would argue like the dragons there wasn’t enough. I wanted more pirate scenes and less kingdom politics. 

The writing style in this book is just as good as the previous two. The style I like is very descriptive and just flows really nicely. I still think I would prefer this book if it was still about Asha like book 1. 

Like the previous books, this one also had past stories in between chapters which I loved. I love how these little pieces of stories pierce together to make one big story and then feed together to link to the present story. It’s beautiful how it connects. I think that is what keeps the book past the 3 stars point.

I enjoyed the concept of the book, the multiple perspectives and the overall plot but I can’t say I enjoyed the finer details of the book. For this reason, I am giving it less stars than the previous 2 books. I’m giving it 3.5 stars, the series overall deserves 4 stars.

*SPOILERS*

I think the biggest thing that made me enjoy the book less was the romance. I usually love romance in books but this one felt forced to me. Safire and Eris fall in love despite being enemies. I know enemies to lover is a popular arc and I usually love it but for me I didn’t see any substance for their romance to occur. Yes we did see scenes where they saved each other's lives but we didn’t see their personalities shine with each other as much as I would have liked. It just didn’t work for me.

The romance in this book seemed like the bigger plot than it should have been. It overtook the actual plot of the book. I wanted to see more of the adventure, more fighting, more secrets coming out. I feel like the book was big but lacked substance, not much actually happened. The book focused too much on the romance and that was the biggest downfall. Which is so odd for me to say, I think I just didn’t expect it.

Overall, it is a good series but just not my favourite series. I think if the author stuck with Asha being the main character throughout, I could connect to the stories more. As the first book was 5 star worthy and each book after has decreased in enjoyment sadly.

Rating: 3.5 runes out of 5 
Series Rating: 4 runes out of 5 

written by Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment