Friday 17 April 2020

Cloak of Night (Cloak of Shadows Series, book 2)

By Evelyn Skye


Blurb: 
After the devastating Ceremony of Two Hundred Hearts, Sora, Daemon, Fairy, and Broomstick are truly alone in the fight to save their kingdom. Empress Aki is missing, and everyone else who could help them is a prisoner to the Dragon Prince’s mind control.

At least Sora understands what they’re up against. Or so she believes, until she overhears the Dragon Prince bargaining with the god of war for immortality and learns that ryuu magic may be a more insidious danger than she realized.

Suddenly, the stakes are higher and even more personal for Sora—not only must she stop a seemingly indestructible Prince Gin, but she must also unravel the secrets of ryuu magic before it is too late for nearly everyone she loves.

And as Sora, Daemon, Fairy, and Broomstick face dangerous obstacles at every turn, the greatest challenge may be discovering who they truly are, and what, if anything, they are capable of.

Review: 
This is the second book in this series, I believe it is a duology as I can't find anything else about this series but at the same time it could potentially be a trilogy from the way it ended. Either way this will be the last book I read of this series as I am not a fan of the authors style or the characters that she writes about.

Being truthful, I'm not entirely sure what actually happened in this book as there wasn't much action until the last 5-10 chapters. Basically, they are still trying to save their empire but they need to contact the gods for a certain reason, then they need to kill Prince Gin. That's basically all that happens.

The story does not develop much at all, it is really slow, there isn't much adventure. more of the same old stuff. To be honest, it was quite a long book for what happened. I also felt that the events that happened were also repetitive of the first book so it just really wasn't enjoyable for me at all.

The characters on the other hand just really annoyed me, they were so childish and just irritating. I even tried to listen to the audio-book version to see if I enjoy it or could get into it more but you know what? It actually made me hate it even more especially the characters. The voices for them suited their personalities, childish and whiny. 

The only good thing I could force myself to say about this book is that everyone deserves to be forgiven no matter what they have done as there is a chance for people to change. That's the only thing that could be considered good about this book. To be honest, I don't even know why I originally rated it 2 stars maybe I should rate it 1/1.5. I'm not entirely sure, there's barely anything I liked about this book.

We do see a development of Wolf's character as he discovers more about himself and he starts believing in himself. But the way that he doesn't come out with his true feelings just annoys me so much but then I suppose this is the character that I can relate to the most because I don't tell people how I truly feel and I don't have any self confidence just like Wolf.

I'd only recommend this book if you don't mind slow books with not much adventure and not much development from the first book to the second.

Least Terrible Character: Wolf

Read: 17/03/20 - 26/03/20

1.5 stars out of 5


Written by Sammie

No comments:

Post a Comment