Tuesday 25 February 2020

Illumicrate - January 2020

Theme: The Strength Within


Items: 
  • Stardust Beanie by @heyatlascreative  
  • Phoenix Feather Bookmark by @chattynora
  • Hunger Games Booklight by @thisgirlhasnoname
  • Gideon the Ninth Purse by @forensicsandflowers
  • Girls of Paper and Fire Holographic Print by @pinktofu_art
  • The Sisters Grimm by Mena Van Praag
  • Infinity Son by Adam Silvera
  • Collectible Coin by @monolimeart

Review: 
The theme for the January box was The Strength Within. I’ll admit I only wanted the box because there was a Hunger Games item and 2 books. I do love it when there are 2 books in a box, it usually means less items though. Not in this case. This box was packed full of goodies.

First item was the beanie hat. Everytime a box had planned a hat, I ended up missing out. I finally got a bookish hat, so I’m happy. The hat is based on the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy. Which I haven’t read, but I love the colour of the hat and the quote so I can live with wearing it. 

Then there was a bookmark. This was a wooden bookmark in the shape of a feather and it was based on one of the books featured in the box. It’s a nice simple looking bookmark. 

The item I absolutely loved in this box was the Hunger Games booklight. I’ve never seen anything like it in a box before. It’s basically a light that you can attach to your book, with the Hunger Games mocking jay logo on. I’ve had a booklight before, but I lost it so I needed a new one. It bends really nicely and it is really bright. Great idea, really happy with it. Most unique thing I’ve gotten in a box.

Then I got a Gideon the Ninth purse. I like purses, but they are featured too often in book boxes. I still haven’t read Gideon the Ninth yet but it is on my to-do list. The purse is a nice small purse, I’m using it as my new night out coin purse. It’s a fun dark design.

The next item was a holographic print of art based on the Girls of Paper and Fire. It’s a very pretty artwork, I do love holographic as well. 

As always, there was a collectible coin. I love getting magnets, so keep them coming. This one was very pretty, lovely shades of purple. Might be my favourite yet. 


Onto the books. As stated above, there was two books this month. The Sisters Grimm by Mena Van Praag and Infinity Son by Adam Silvera. The Sisters Grimm sounds really good, my cup of tea. The book looked beautiful. I love naked books with pretty designs and this book was that. It’s one of my favourite books appearance wise now. It also had cool black sprayed edges. It was also signed.

Infinity Son is a book I’ve actually heard of and wanted to read. This was released a little early before it’s official release date and written by a well known contemporary author. I am nervous about this series as contemporary is my most hated genre and even though the series is fantasy, it’s the authors first attempt at it. Fingers crossed it’s good. This book didn’t have any special designs to the cover, it’s just a normal paperback but it was signed. 
Overall, I really liked this box. I had a feeling I was going to like it better than December’s and I was correct. I really enjoyed the useful items in the box, specifically the booklight. So for that, I’m giving the box 4.5 stars.


Rating: 4.5 rune out of 5
Written by Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment