Tuesday 26 February 2019

Fire and Heist 

By Sarah Beth Durst 


Blurb: 
In Sky Hawkins's family, leading your first heist is a major milestone--even more so than learning to talk, walk, or do long division. It's a chance to gain power and acceptance within your family, and within society. But stealing your first treasure can be complicated, especially when you're a wyvern--a human capable of turning into a dragon.

Embarking on a life of crime is never easy, and Sky discovers secrets about her mother, who recently went missing, the real reason her boyfriend broke up with her, and a valuable jewel that could restore her family's wealth and rank in their community.

With a handpicked crew by her side, Sky knows she has everything she needs to complete her first heist, and get her boyfriend and mother back in the process. But then she uncovers a dark truth about were-dragon society--a truth more valuable and dangerous than gold or jewels could ever be.

Review: 
I received this book in the December box from FairyLoot, but if I was going of the cover and description alone I don't think I would have actually bought it to read. So I've gave it a chance, as I've not actually read many dragon books before or should I say were-dragons for this book.

This book started off with Sky's mother missing after completing a heist, following the heist it meant that the Hawking family had to get rid of some of their belongings because the failed heist shamed the family and at the reckoning their ranking was reduced. Sky is still in search for her mother and doesn't want to believe that she is dead. She wants her mother back because her brothers aren't the same since she left and her dad isn't as happy without her, so she makes it her task to find her or at least get answers of what has happened and what the heist was that she was doing. 

The general story of this book was quite enjoyable even though there wasn't much detail at certain parts that could have done with it and a lot of detail in parts that didn't need it. The characters themselves weren't lovable but they weren't hateable at the same time. The only character that I felt I truly enjoyed was Gabriella, she was just the excitable person who was geeky and loved finding out new things about Sky's race once she was in on it. Ryan on the other hand was a jerk, but then when you discover the reason why he did those things then it's kind of understandable but I still don't really forgive him. Only because if you do truly love someone it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, if you think it's true love then you should fight for it, no matter what your age is, don't let other people destroy your happiness.

The book itself was short, and fast paced. But I did generally think that it was quite rushed and the author just wanted to get it over and done with, I also felt like a lot more could have happened but it just never did. It was also quite predictable at times which ruined my experience of this book that's what effected the rating of the book, as well as how the plot was developed.

The ending wasn't anything spectacular and didn't make me hope that there was a second book, it just made me think that this book could have been made so much better if there was more action or we discovered more about other people's lives.

The style of writing for me was more based at a start of secondary school age too, which I do enjoy at times if the story is good but I just generally think that this book wasn't for me sadly. 


Favourite Characters: Gabriella

Read: 02/01/19 - 13/01/19


3 stars out of 5

Written by Sammie
Check out Sammie's review of FairyLoot - December 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment